Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A burlesque beauty

The promise of a ‘quality showcase’ from an over enthusiastic spruiker had me intrigued. A show of the burlesque arts sounds downright classy on paper. I followed the direction of his extended arm down a lane to a set of stairs leading down to a dank cellar bar.
It was a hidden oasis for those who feared daylight hours and sunlight contacting the skin. No windows gave it atmosphere as well as bad air circulation, the later resulting in a potent smell and a bitter taste on the palette which lingered heavily. The dim lighting gave me an uneasy feeling that these girls would look rough on stage and even rougher on the street. I ordered a drink, scotch neat, i didn’t trust the ice in this kind of place. Whatever they were watering down the spirits with was bad enough. I took a seat at a small table jammed in an odd little corner off to the right side of the stage bout half way back in the crowd and awaited the theatrics. The lights dimmed lower than I thought possible and a burst of crackling static broke through the rustling and murmurs. “For the gentleman among us please prepare yourself for the endless talents of the young, the amazing signora Amelia Sammut.” Oh an Italian miss, this will be great. The curtains parted and a young woman with all the Italian features expected but the palest of delicate white skin. She was gorgeously unique and I felt love. The stage lights exploded to life making her just glow.
“She’s not real Italian” remarked a gentleman sitting in front of me to his associate. “Half Australian I hear” he said in a huff. They seemed t not be able to get past the misleading introduction but I had no mind to listen to their concerns. The girl of my dreams was in front of me, even though until now I’d never known to dream of her. That didn’t matter as she would soon fill every waking moment of my thoughts.
She twisted and twirled and I stared at her beautiful eyes the entire time, catching a glimpse of her looking back every so often. The curtain fell and her act was done, but i so desperately wanted to see her more, as the next act started I went back to the bar to order another glass of whatever swill they were serving me. AS my drink was handed to me she sidled up next to me for her own drink order already placed on the bar by the bartender. As she picked it up she asked without looking at me “enjoy the show did you” i stumbled through small talk and chit chat, trying hard to impress without it seeming like close range stalking. She turned glancing me in the eye as she proceeded back across the room to the side stage door. That was all polite enough I thought very pleased with myself. My eyes followed her every step, she stops at a security guard standing next to the steps up to the stage, she leans in and whispers in his ear and gestures towards me, a little smile flashed my way. My heart beats hard. The security guard starts to walk my way; a thousand thoughts rush through my mind. I can’t grasp any of them in my excitement. I stand from the bar stool I had propped myself on to hear the message. He punches me in the stomach and I fall to the ground, confused I try to get back to my feet and he lands an elbow in the back of my neck. Once again I visit the tiles. Groggily I attempt to right myself one more time. Out of the corner of my eye I can see her running to me. To my aid, to straighten out this misunderstanding between security and myself. I lift my head to thank her for the assistance in the matter. She knees me in the groin. I go down. I start to doubt our future relationship. She tells me to get out and never come back. Wow, i love how decisive she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment