Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blimp warfare

The zeppelin tore a huge silhouette in the sky. Looming ominously with its slow speed and limited attack capabilities. It seemed odd that it traveled all this way to perform a surprise attack. We had known of its coming for several days and had readied ourselves thoroughly. All strategic sites of importance heavily armed and manned. All women and children were evacuated to the old mine shaft now modified into a heavily fortified bunker. All the historic artifacts hidden in the town hall basement. We were ready.

The blimp was gunned down by the town 5 miles south. We saw it all. The entire battle consisted of a single gun shot and the blimp crashing slowly into the hillside. We felt cheated. Disheartened we slowly left our defensive positions and fox holes trailing our rifles behind us in the dirt. Those among us wearing camouflage suits and blackface feeling the most foolish of all.

The short walk back home was devastating and facing the kids would be humiliating. How do you exaggerate a war story when you missed out on the war? I reached the steps up to the front porch. I propped my gun against the wall and got one foot inside the front door when my ears perked up. A light ominous drone. I turned slowly to look out over the plains and there it was. A tiny speck on the horizon. A second even more secretive zeppelin. I grabbed my rifle back up, slung it over my shoulder and ran for the town hall.
“What kind of fresh hell is this” I screamed into the empty street as I giggled with joyous glee unable to wipe the smile off my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment