Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Trains cause pain

The train rushed past in a fury of noise. The cold numbed my hands and face. It had also slowed my reflexes but not my thoughts. Interacting with the world was arduous and involved. My mind whirred relentlessly. There was no stopping that.
I hadn’t heard the whistle, the ambience of train motion or the shouts of the guard. Collision was imminent until a flash of tin grabbed me from my dreams, a shiny chocolate rapper flew by my head dragged and dangled in the wind commanding my attention. My eyes followed it and my body came along for the ride turning ever so slightly now uncrossing the path of the train and myself.
The train guard so relieved by my miraculous yet unknowing escape from death he rushed at me to embrace in a kind hug. I was startled by the contact and fell backwards into the now stationary train striking my head on the stainless steel stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment