Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Winter is for me

Next to the window I draped myself wearily across my desk, the day had ground me down the tiniest bit, but that was enough to make me give up. My view out over the woodlands was bleak at best. The winter cold had crushed the life out of the trees leaving them leafless skeletal tangles littering the empty fields. I enjoy the cold of the season but it seems nothing else does. Everyone huddles inside creating confused unnatural mix of the unwary hiding from the lingering frosts, doorways and lobbies now jammed with people trying to draw their last few huffs of the artificial heat before bursting forth on the realty of the streets. Indoors becomes a claustrophobic maze of unmoving pedestrians, no real purpose to their step, just occupying space as long as it’s warm. The day finally comes to an end and I can escape the crush. The open air is gloriously harsh on the skin. A sense of the cold cobblestones rising through the soles of my well worn boots. The night is mine alone as I stroll the emptying mall, the lights of storefronts cast shadows across my path the outlines of the to and frow of the outlined shapes sealed behind their glass cages. Trapped by an invisible barrier of temperature deficit. I smile to myself and embrace a gift of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment